Students can transfer credits into UNC Greensboro through courses taken elsewhere and/or placement tests. Usually, these credits will count toward the student’s degree. UNC Greensboro has a team that reviews transfer credits and translates them to their UNCG equivalents. This process is called articulation.

How to have transcripts formally evaluated

Most courses completed at 4-year and 2-year institutions approved by specific accrediting bodies will transfer to UNCG. Exceptions include developmental courses, technical courses, and courses less than one semester hour. Official articulation evaluations can be completed for current students and newly admitted students with official transcripts. Students participating in study abroad programs should confer with Study Abroad in the International Programs Center regarding credit evaluation. In order to transfer credit from an international institution attended outside of UNCG Study Abroad, a NACES will be required and syllabi will be required for further course evaluation.

Newly admitted students

New students will have their transcripts automatically evaluated as soon as they have been admitted to UNCG. Articulation review usually takes at least two weeks after admission

To check the status of transcript evaluations, watch the application checklist in SpartanLink. In this portal, students can see which transcripts have been received and whether they have been evaluated. 

Current UNCG students

Students who have taken coursework elsewhere while still enrolled at UNCG will have their credit evaluation done as quickly as possible — usually about 1 week after providing the Registrar’s Office with their official transcripts from the transfer institution. 

Students should follow their transfer institution’s procedure to have an official transcript sent to UNCG. After that transcript is received, transfer credit will be posted to the student’s UNCGenie account and will automatically be applied in Degree Works.

How to check if courses will transfer 

Future students not yet admitted to UNCG or current students who are exploring courses at other institutions should use our transfer course equivalency resources to get a sense of how their credits will translate toward a UNCG degree.

Transfer course equivalency database

Students who are curious about a course taken outside UNCG might transfer for credit can search for it using the Transfer Equivalency Course Search. This database includes listings of thousands of courses at hundreds of institutions. Students can look up their transfer institution, then find the classes they have taken to see a comparison of how they can expect coursework to translate at UNCG.

North Carolina Community College Transfer Students

Future students who are currently attending a North Carolina community college or public university benefit from the state’s Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA), a set of rules that determine how their credits transfer. 

North Carolina AA and AS degree plans

In general students working toward two-year Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree will find that most of their credits translate to meet general education requirements. Some of UNCG’s four year degrees, especially STEM-related degrees, may require that certain pre-requisite courses are completed at UNCG. In these cases, transfer classes can count toward elective credit. 

The best way to plan ahead for transfer to UNCG is for the student to reach out directly to an advisor in their intended major to ensure their course selection puts them on the most efficient path to a four-year degree. 

If an advisor is not available, students can refer to a set of degree plans we have made available for most of our majors.

North Carolina AAS Articulation Agreements

Transfer students taking classes toward an Associate in Applied Science may see fewer courses transfer because they tend to be more technical in nature. UNCG’s 2Plus program offers students in select AAS programs a more efficient pathway to a bachelor’s degree. 

2Plus majors and their associated transfer credits correspond to specific AAS and UNCG degrees. (Not all North Carolina community colleges are part of all agreements.) Students must apply to UNCG as a 2Plus student. 

Petition for Transfer Credit 

Undergraduate students may petition for a transfer course to fulfill UNCG General Education Core requirements (GEC) or Additional College General Education requirements by submitting a petition form online. The Transfer Articulation Services team may request additional details to support the petition, like a course syllabus, as part of their review process. Submit petitions as soon as possible after receiving a credit evaluation to allow the maximum time for review by the Articulation Services team and the academic department.

Reverse Transfer 

Students who transfer to UNCG from a NC community college with at least 16 community college course credits can opt to earn their associate degree while completing courses toward their baccalaureate degree.

How to sign up for Reverse Transfer

There is no cost to participate in the Reverse Transfer program. Eligible students are automatically notified about the program in UNCGenie, though they must opt in to participate. 

How to get an AA diploma

Students should work with their community college to ensure their UNCG transcripts are being evaluated accurately. The community college can also provide information about how to participate in graduation ceremonies and how to receive a printed diploma. (Keep in mind there may be a cost associated with the diploma and graduation ceremony, assessed by the community college.) 

Advising and general education requirements

Students who participate in the Reverse Transfer Program and earn an associate of art or science degree will generally satisfy the University’s lower-level general education requirements after providing UNCG with an official transcript showing the degree was earned. It’s important for students to work closely with their advisors at UNCG and the community college to ensure all degree-specific requirements are being met along the way.

Transfer credit policies

For more information on transfer credit policies please see the section on Course Credit Regulations in the University Catalog.