Aid Eligibility for Student Types

To be considered for most types of aid, including Federal Student Loans, all students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To be eligible for aid through the FAFSA, students must: 

  • Lawful U.S. Permanent resident alien
  • Alien granted asylum/refugee status in the United States
  • Conditional resident alien with a I-551 card or MRIV in an unexpired foreign passport and endorsed admission stamp
  • Cuban-Haitian immigrant
  • Conditional entrant into the U.S.
  • Alien paroled into the U.S. who is in the U.S. for more than a temporary purpose and intends to become a citizen or permanent resident
  • Victims of human trafficking
  • Battered immigrants-qualified aliens

Pending applications for residency, employment authorizations, and indeterminate alien status are not conclusive grounds for aid eligibility and must be supported by other documentation before eligibility can be determined. 

Graduate & Undergraduate students

Aid options and additional eligibility requirements differ by student type. Read more about requirements and types of aid available for your situation below.

This student type includes all students pursuing their first bachelor’s degree, regardless of if they have already received an Associate’s degree. They also must: 

  • Be enrolled at least half time (6 credit hours per semester) for most types of aid.
  • Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA for all courses.
  • Complete their degree within 150% of the required credit hours. (Financial aid is capped at a maximum of 180 attempted hours.)

First degree undergraduate students are eligible for federal loans, federal grants, state grants, and institutional grants/scholarships. There are scholarships available specifically for first year students and also many scholarships for continuing students through UNCG academic departments.

We encourage students to look at outside scholarship programs for even more opportunities.

This student type includes those who already have a Bachelor’s degree and are admitted into a degree program or one of the following eligible certificate programs:

  • Post-Baccalaureate Alternative Initial Licensure (PAIL)
  • NC TEACH Post-Baccalaureate Licensure Program
  • Premedical and Pre Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program in the Biology department 

In addition to these requirements, a second degree undergraduate student must

  • Be enrolled at least half time for most types of aid.
  • Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA for all courses.
  • Complete their degree within 150% of the hours required for the second degree (maximum of 228 attempted hours including the hours for first degree).

These students are eligible for federal student loans but not federal or state grants. Students may apply to scholarships from outside organizations and UNCG academic departments.

This group includes students pursuing Master’s degrees and Doctoral degrees, including Graduate Certificates and certain Licensure programs. (See Certificate and Licensure Programs section below.) Eligible graduate students must: 

  • Be enrolled at least half time (4.5 hours per semester) at the 500 level or above*.
  • Maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA for all courses.
  • Complete their degree within 150% of the hours required for the degree (including thesis/dissertation).

*Graduate students can receive aid even though they are below half-time enrollment with an exception based on the fact that the student is enrolled in a course for writing their thesis/dissertation.

Graduate students are eligible for federal student loans, but not the Federal Pell Grant and state need-based grants. 

In addition, these students may also receive graduate or teaching assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships through the Graduate School and/or their academic department. Students should contact their academic department for more information about these opportunities.

Certificate and licensure

This group includes students in certificate and licensure programs that don’t result in a bachelor’s, masters, or doctoral degree. Certificate/Licensure students are eligible for aid as a graduate or second-degree seeking student if they are enrolled in one of the following programs: 

  • Graduate Initial Licensure Certificate for Birth-Kindergarten (BKPB)
  • Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics (BUAN)
  • Graduate Certificate in Business Foundations (BUFO)
  • Graduate Certificate in Conservation  (CONS)
  • Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security (CYSE)
  • Graduate Certificate in Dietetics Internship Program (DIIN)
  • Graduate Certificate in Dance  (DNNC)
  • Graduate Certificate in Economics of Health Analytics (ECHA)
  • Graduate Certificate in Gerontology (GERO)
  • Graduate Certificate in Global Fashion Industry Management (GFIM)
  • Graduate Certificate in Global Leadership and Strategy  (GLLS)
  • Graduate Certificate in Instructional coaching  (INCO)
  • Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Development (ITDE)
  • Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management (NOPM)
  • Graduate Certificate in Quantitative Business Economics (QUBE)
  • Graduate Certificate in Retail Consumer Data Analytics  (RCDA)
  • Graduate Certificate in Retail Merchandising Management  (REMM)
  • Graduate Certificate in School Administration (SCAD)
  • Graduate Certificate in Supply Chain Management (SUPC)
  • Graduate Certificate in Sustainability  (SUSA)
  • Graduate Certificate in Taxation  (TAXN)
  • Graduate Certificate in Teaching Sociology (TESO)
  • Graduate Certificate in Urban and Economic Development (URED)
  • Graduate Certificate in Workplace Wellness  (WOWE)

  • Post-Baccalaureate Alternative Initial Licensure (PAIL)
  • NC TEACH Post-Baccalaureate Licensure Program

Most graduate and second degree seeking students admitted into a certificate or licensure program are eligible for Federal Student Loans only.

Online students

Online students are those specifically enrolled in degree or certificate programs that can be earned entirely online without attending classes on campus. (A listing of these programs is available here.) 

Financial aid for online students may differ from campus-based students because the cost of attendance can differ. Online students may be charged different fee rates. They are also allowed to claim an adjustment to their cost of attendance to purchase a computer their first year. More information in the section about Cost of Attendance.

Note: Students who take online courses towards a campus-based degree are not considered an “online” student.

Online students should follow eligibility guidelines based on their degree type (first time undergraduate, second degree undergraduate, graduate, or certificate/licensure). See the appropriate section on this page for more information.

Returning students

There are special considerations for returning students who have previously withdrawn or taken time off from UNCG without completing a degree. (Students who completed a degree at UNCG or another institution are not considered returning students.)

Students returning after time away should take the following steps to verify their eligibility to receive aid.

  • Log into the secure area of UNCGenie 
  • Click on the Financial Aid Tab
  • Click on Financial Aid Status
  • Select current academic year 
  • Click on Academic Progress. 

Students who are not listed in “Good Standing” may need to complete a financial aid appeal. View the complete SAP policy and access appeal forms by viewing the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Students in the Beyond Academics program should reference the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Beyond Academics.

  • Students returning in the same academic year (withdrew in fall – returning in spring) who had aid should contact Financial Aid so we can review your file.
  • Students with a prior year FAFSA or no prior FAFSA should complete a new FAFSA. See the How to Apply section for instructions.

Students may have Outstanding Requirements preventing them from being awarded or preventing the award from disbursing. 

View a list of outstanding requirements by logging in to the Financial Aid section of UNCGenie and use the document upload feature to submit requested materials.

Beyond Academics students

Beyond Academics is a unique program that allows students with intellectual and developmental disabilities to earn a four-year certificate from UNC Greensboro. Students in this program may complete a FAFSA to determine if they qualify for a Pell Grant to assist with costs.

Military-affiliated students

Veterans and military-affiliated students receiving benefits through the VA are eligible to receive financial aid according to their student type. Depending on their specific VA program the student’s benefits may count toward their total aid eligibility. For more information visit


Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
  • Phone: 336.334.5702
  • Email: Contact Form
  • Mailing Address: PO Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
  • Campus Address: 159 Mossman Building*
  • *Drop-Ins Welcome.