There are many types of financial aid available to UNC Greensboro students looking for assistance with the costs of college. Aid can come from a variety of sources that may or may not require a FAFSA. UNCG recommends that all students file a FAFSA every year to maximize their eligibility for the most types of aid.

Federal student loans

Requires a FAFSA each year.

There are several types of federal loans available. Based on the student’s FAFSA report, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships determines the student’s eligibility including which type(s) of loans and maximum amounts. 

Federal direct student loans (subsidized and unsubsidized)

The Federal Direct Student Loan Program includes subsidized and unsubsidized loans. 

Loan repayment may be deferred while a student is enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours). After leaving school or dropping below half time for six months, the student must begin repayment. To view the current interest rates and fees visit the

There are mandatory restrictions on the maximum yearly loans (annual loan limits) and lifetime loan amounts (aggregate loan limits) depending on the student’s situation.

Dependent undergraduate students who are enrolled as regular students in eligible programs may be able to borrow up to the maximum based on the chart below:

Freshman YearSophomore YearJunior or Senior YearLifetime Max
Max. Subsidized Loan Amount$3,500$4,500$5,500$23,000
Max. Total Loan Amount$5,500$6,500$7,500$31,000

Independent undergraduate students (and dependent students whose parents have been denied access to a Federal PLUS Loan) who are enrolled as regular students in eligible programs may be able to borrow up to the maximum based on the chart below:

Freshman YearSophomore YearJunior or Senior YearLifetime Max
Max. Subsidized Loan Amount$3,500$4,500$5,500$23,000
Max. Total Loan Amount$9,500$10,500$12,500$57,500

Graduate students are generally allowed to borrow up to the maximum based on the chart below. (Graduate students are not eligible for subsidized loans.)

Single YearLifetime Max
Max. Subsidized Loan Amountn/an/a
Max. Total Loan Amount$20,500$138,500

Entrance Counseling and the completion of a Master Promissory Note is required for all students borrowing Federal Direct Loans for the first time.  Both the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note can be completed at

Students who accept Federal Direct Student Loans must complete an online exit counseling session when withdrawing, graduating, or dropping below half-time attendance. This includes students transferring to another school. 

Completing Exit Counseling will not begin the repayment process – it is an informational module about the process. If a student does not complete Exit Counseling, it can prevent the disbursement of future aid.

Counseling is completed on and is designed to help students manage the loan repayment process and understand their rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. 

HINT: Students must complete the entire session in one sitting. As part of the session, students will be asked to provide their driver’s license number (if issued), addresses and phone numbers for next of kin, two references who live in the United States, and future employer (if known).

More information is available here.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

For parents

Federal Direct PLUS loans are federally sponsored loans that parents can obtain to help pay the cost of education for their dependent undergraduate children. PLUS loans feature low interest rates and long-term repayment options. Parent PLUS Loans require a separate application. See “How to Apply for Aid” for more information.

Parents may be approved to borrow up to the cost of attendance less any other aid received by the student annually. They may always opt to borrow less than the maximum eligible amount.

For graduate students

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loans are federally sponsored loans available to graduate students who wish to borrow beyond their annual or lifetime limit under the Federal Student Loan program. Graduate PLUS loans feature low interest rates and long-term repayment options. Graduate PLUS Loans require a separate application. See “How to Apply for Aid” for more information.

Graduate students may be approved to borrow up to the cost of attendance less any other aid received by the student annually.

Federal grants

Requires a FAFSA each year.

Federal grants, unlike loans, are sources of free money that generally do not have to be repaid. Most grants are awarded to students who demonstrate financial need based on their FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed each year to verify continued eligibility for grants. More detailed information about federal grants is available on the Federal Student Aid website.

Types of grants

Awarded on the basis of financial need to citizens or eligible non-citizens enrolled at the undergraduate level, who have no prior bachelor’s degree. There is a maximum of 12 full time semesters of eligibility. Must file FAFSA.

Awarded on the basis of financial need to full-time undergraduate students, who have no prior bachelor’s degree. Must file FAFSA. (Priority given to those who file before the FAFSA priority date.)

TEACH is a forgivable loan program available to undergraduate and graduate students seeking their degrees to teach in a high need field and at a Title I school

To be eligible for a TEACH Grant, students must: 

  • Complete a FAFSA
  • Enroll in one of UNCG’s TEACH eligible programs
  • Be admitted to the Teacher’s Academy
  • Meet certain academic requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on one or more portions of a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25)
  • Complete annual TEACH Grant counseling and sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve
Grant limits

Students can receive a maximum of $4000 per academic year. (The actual amount may vary from year to year.) 

  • Undergraduate students can receive a maximum cumulative total of $16,000.
  • Graduate students can receive a maximum cumulative total of $8,000. 

Note: In order for a TEACH Grant to remain a grant and not convert to a Direct Unsubsidized Loan, a student must teach for four years in a high need subject at a Title I school.

  • B-12/Hard of Hearing Teacher Lic BS
  • Biology Education BA
  • Biology Education BS
  • Chemistry Education BA
  • Chemistry Education BS
  • Comprehensive Science Ed MAT
  • Elementary Ed/Special Ed: Dual Major BS
  • English 2nd Language Ed MAT
  • French Education BA
  • French Education MAT
  • Integrated Science/Secondary Science Tch Licensure BA
  • Latin Education BA
  • Mathematics Education BA
  • Mathematics Education BS
  • Mathematics Education: Applied Math BS
  • Mathematics Education: Computer Science BS
  • Mathematics Education: Pure Math BS
  • Mathematics Education: Statistics BS
  • Middle Grade Ed (Mathematics) MAT
  • Middle Grade Ed (Science) MAT
  • Middle Grades Mathematics BS
  • Middle Grades Science BS
  • Physics Education BA
  • Physics Education BS
  • Spanish Education BA
  • Spanish Education MAT
  • Special Education: General Curriculum BS

State Aid Programs

Requires a FAFSA each year. For more information on Scholarships visit the Scholarships Page of Spartan Central.

North Carolina offers several grants and scholarship programs specifically to state residents. Other states have similar programs and out-of-state students are encouraged to research options in their home states.

Students must file a FAFSA to be considered for state-funded grants. Most grants require demonstrated financial need and a new FAFSA filed annually to demonstrate continued eligibility.

The Next NC Scholarship is a financial aid program that helps most North Carolinians making $80,000 or less pay for their tuition and fees to attend any community college or public university in the state. Eligible students attending a public university will receive at least $5,000. This is money that doesn’t have to be repaid. The scholarship combines the federal Pell Grant with the state-funded financial aid program into a simplified, predictable scholarship award for North Carolina students.

When a student reviews their financial aid letter, they should keep in mind that Next NC will appear as state funding, and the federal Pell Grant will be listed separately. Together, these two amounts create their Next NC Scholarship award.

Learn more at

Aubrey Lee Brooks ScholarshipAwarded on the basis of academic achievement and financial need to full-time, incoming first-year students. Applications should be made through the Aubrey Lee Brooks Foundation and applicants must file a FAFSA. See the CFNC website for additional details.
Forgivable Education Loans for Service Program (FELS)Awarded on the basis of academic achievement to NC residents. Students are required to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and be willing to work in NC in a designated critical employment area. For additional details.
Golden Leaf ScholarshipAwarded on the basis of financial need to undergraduate students, enrolled full-time, who are enrolled at a participating NC public university. See CFNC website for additional information. File a FAFSA.
Incentive For Native AmericansAwarded to Native American students who are enrolled full-time. Contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for list of additional requirements and application.
Transforming Principal Preparation ProgramAwarded to graduate students who are enrolled full-time and who are NC residents, and who are studying School Administration. For additional information.
NC ReachProvides funding to college students who aged out of North Carolina public foster care or whose adoption from North Carolina public foster care was finalized on or after their 12th birthday. To apply for this program, please visit Additional information may be obtained by calling the NC Reach team at (800) 585-6112, or by clicking the “Contact Us” on the NC Reach homepage.

A full listing plus more detailed information concerning each of these funds is available through the College Foundation of North Carolina.

Federal Work-Study

Requires a FAFSA each year.

Federal Work-Study may be offered to undergraduate students as part of the total financial aid package. A very limited amount of funds are available for this program each year, so students interested in obtaining Federal Work-Study should file their FAFSA as early as possible.

Note: The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will cancel your Federal Work-Study Award if you do not accept it within four weeks of receiving your award. 

Students who want  Federal Work-Study, but were not awarded, should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to have their eligibility reviewed. If eligible, they can be placed on a wait list to be awarded if funds become available.

Students awarded work-study must find their own work-study job. The easiest way to do this is through UNCG’s Handshake application which lists available work-study positions. 

Jobs are available at approved on- and off-campus sites and include positions like:

  • Community Resource Specialist
  • Tutor
  • Public Relations Assistant
  • Marketing Assistant
  • Child Care Assistant
  • Art Gallery Assistant
  • Fitness Assistant
  • Museum Floor Assistant
  • Referral Specialist
  • Youth Sports
  • Social Work
  • Grant Writer

After accepting a position, students must complete employment forms before starting work. These include an I-9 (available through Career & Professional Development), and a W-4 and NC-4 (available through the hiring department/organization). 

Work-study positions usually require a commitment of at least one full semester. Students work with their supervisor to establish a regular schedule of about 8-12 hours per week that accommodates their class commitments. 

During the semester, students typically begin work each semester during the first full week of classes and stop work on the last day of classes. 

Students are expected to meet all expectations of their supervisors in their work-study roles. Professional behavior and communication are expected at all times. Students who are terminated from a Federal Work-Study position may lose their Federal Work-Study award for the remainder of the year.

Students can earn wages through their work-study job up to a maximum dollar amount that’s indicated in the official financial aid package. Hourly pay rate varies depending on the position and student’s previous experience. 

Work-study paychecks are issued once a month at the end of the month. Pay periods run from the 11th day of one month to the 10th day of the next month. 

NOTE: Work-study students must sign up for direct deposit by submitting a direct deposit form to the Payroll Office or Career & Professional Development.  


Graduate students may have access to assistantships and fellowships to help fund the cost of their education. Graduate Assistantships provide students opportunities for professional experience, academic training, and financial support while pursing graduate degrees. Assistantships are paid positions that support the teaching, research, or service mission of UNC Greensboro. Fellowships may be offered by UNC Greensboro or may be nationally competitive grants, scholarships, and similar funding opportunities for students. Typically, fellowships fund study, research, or teaching in the United States or abroad. More information on graduate assistantships and fellowships can be found on the Graduate School site.

Private Loans

Does not require a FAFSA.

Private education loans (sometimes called alternative loans) are credit-based loans offered by private lenders to help students bridge the gap between the cost of attendance and the amount of federal, state, and institutional aid that is awarded. 

Private loans often require a good credit history and/or a co-signer with a good credit history.  These loans are usually more costly than federal education loans with interest rates and repayment terms that usually are not as advantageous to the borrower.

UNCG strongly encourages all students to complete the FAFSA and wait to receive their award from Financial Aid before applying for an alternative loan. Federal loans end up costing less than private loans and should be the first option to consider when borrowing money to finance an education.  

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will certify an alternative education loan from the lender of your choice if the loan’s eligibility requirements are met. Please note: the maximum alternative loan amount that can be certified is the Cost of Attendance minus any other financial aid received.

Emergency Aid

UNCG has resources available to assist students who have an urgent need for emergency financial assistance. These aid resources are for true emergencies and not to be used for typical institutional expenses including tuition and fees.

An Emergency Loan is a short-term loan granted by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to students who need assistance in covering expenses that result from unforeseen situations. Students can apply for an Emergency Loan through UNCGenie under the Financial Aid tab. The application opens at the start of each semester. 

Students may not take out more than one Emergency Loan per semester.

Emergency Loans must be paid back in 30 days or by the end of the current semester, whichever is closer. Students may repay with pending financial aid or Veteran’s Benefits for the current term, or from their employment (must provide a current paystub).

The SAFE fund is a non-cash emergency fund set up to provide one-time emergency assistance to current UNCG students. This fund is managed through UNCG Student Affairs and more information can be found on the SAFE web page.

The Spartan Open Pantry is a food pantry for students and staff in need of assistance. They also offer mini-pantries in different locations on campus, a clothing pantry, and hot meals weekly during the semester. 


Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • Office hours: Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
  • Phone: 336.334.5702
  • Email: Contact Form
  • Mailing Address: PO Box 26170, Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
  • Campus Address: 159 Mossman Building*
  • *Drop-Ins Welcome.