When the student’s financial aid award package is available, they can view it online at UNCGenie. Students should review their aid notice carefully to ensure they understand what they have been offered.
Students must officially accept each of the elements of their award in order for the funds to be disbursed to their account. Students do not have to accept all of the aid they are awarded.
When financial aid awards are sent
UNCG will review FAFSA applications as they come in. Aid packages are usually awarded beginning in March prior to the award year.
Students who submit a FAFSA by the priority deadline (January 15) are most likely to receive their award notice soonest.
Students with additional requirements and those who filed later can expect to receive their award notices as their financial aid applications are finalized.
How to view the award
The financial aid award information can be viewed via UNCGenie. Award notifications are not mailed. Students will receive an email from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships when their award is available to view in UNCGenie.
To view the financial aid award in UNCGenie
- Go to UNCGenie
- Click the ”Enter Secure Area” option on the UNCGenie Home page and enter your Student/University ID Number and your UNCG PIN. (Not sure of your PIN?)
- Go to Financial Aid tab in UNCGenie click on Award.
- Click on Current Award Information.
- Select the appropriate Aid Year, then click Submit.
- Your most recent financial aid award letter will be displayed.
The financial aid award may include a combination of grants, scholarships, and loans. The types of aid available to a student is determined by their student type, financial need (based on FAFSA application), FAFSA filing date, and, in some cases, academic merit (based on admissions application). For more information about the different types of aid listed on a student’s specific award letter, visit the Types of Aid page.
How to accept the aid award
Students must officially accept their award offer in UNCGenie. Financial Aid that has not been accepted will not be disbursed and can cause problems when tuition bills are issued.
- 1. Go to UNCGenie
- 2. Click the ”Enter Secure Area” option on the UNCGenie Home page and enter your Student/University ID Number and your UNCG PIN. (Not sure of your PIN?)
- 3. Go to Financial Aid tab in UNCGenie click on Award.
- 4. Click on Award By Aid Year.
- 5. Select the appropriate Aid Year, then Submit. View your award information under the Award Overview Tab.
- 6. Click on the Accept Award Offer tab.
Each item in the award must be accepted individually. Students have the option to accept all, some, or none of the loans in the aid package.
- To accept GRANTS: Select Accept from the drop-down box, then Submit Decision.
- To accept LOANS: Select Accept from the drop-down box to accept the full loan amounts, then Submit Decision or Click Accept Full Amount All Awards to accept full amounts for all awards.
- To accept PARTIAL LOAN amounts: Select Accept from the drop-down box, then enter the amount you would like to accept in the Accept Partial Amount box, then select Submit Decision.
- To DECLINE loans: Select Decline from the drop-down box, then select Submit Decision.
TIP: Students receiving Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and Graduate PLUS loans for the first time must complete Entrance Counseling. The goal of Entrance Counseling is to help a first-time borrower understand what it means to borrow a federal student loan. Students (and parents) must sign a Master Promissory Note before their aid will be disbursed. This requirement applies to Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, Parent Plus and Graduate PLUS loans.
Award acceptance deadlines
Students aid offers will eventually be canceled if they are not accepted. Timing of aid cancellation depends on the type of aid and whether the student is new or continuing.
|Award will be auto-canceled after…||What’s required to accept|
|Federal Work Study||45 days of the offer(After this time the award is canceled and reissued to a qualified student on the wait list)||Accept in UNCGenie|
|Grants||End of orientation (SOAR) for new students;Start of term for continuing students(After this time the grant offer will be canceled)||Accept in UNCGenie|
|Federal Loans||Start of term (After this time the loan offer will be canceled. Students whose loans are canceled may request a loan later in the term if they still have eligibility.)||Accept in UNCGenieComplete Entrance CounselingComplete Master Promissory Note|
Note that the above guidelines are deadlines to avoid having aid offers canceled. Students should meet these dates and plan to accept all aid by 2-3 weeks prior to the semester billing deadline to ensure ample time for aid processing.
Aid accepted within two weeks of the billing deadline may result in delays which could require the student to pay out-of-pocket before aid funds become available.