Fall financial aid funds will be paid to student accounts starting August 7, 2021 for students who are registered for fall classes, whose registration is confirmed and are eligible for disbursement*. On August 9, 2021, the Cashiers Office will begin to process refunds, and, in most cases, students should receive them by August 14th. Set up direct deposit for faster, more convenient refunding. Check the following items to ensure that you can receive a refund.
- Accept all the financial aid you need to cover your bill. Refunds are generated because your aid is greater than the charges on your student account.
*Please note that financial aid is disbursed on attending hours. This means if all your classes do not begin on August 17th, your disbursement could be delayed until those later classes begin. This could affect the amount and timing of your refund, as you may not receive the full amount of your refund until later in the semester.
2. Please make sure you update your mailing address on UNCGenie as your refund check will go to the address listed there. Your address needs to be correct even if you are using Direct Deposit. Also, make sure that your bank accounts are set up correctly in the Student Account Center.
3. Verify your payment confirmation status for fall. Financial aid funds will not be paid to your account if your status is not listed as “Confirmed”.
4. Review and complete the Title IV Authorizations for aid.
5. Check your Satisfactory Academic Progress link in UNCGenie. If you need to submit an appeal, click here for more information about Satisfactory Academic Progress.
If you do not have financial aid funds applied to your student account by August 7th, one or more of the above issues may be the reason your aid was not paid. Once you have resolved the issue, your funds will be disbursed to your student account. If you are due a refund, it will be processed the week following the disbursement.
Finally, please make sure your UNCG email account is activated and that you check it frequently. This is the primary means of communicating with you and we don’t want you to miss any important messages.
Fall Emergency Loans
An emergency loan is a short-term loan granted by the Financial Aid Office to students who need assistance in covering expenses that result from unforeseen situations. Emergency loans cannot be used for tuition, fees, or other institutional charges.
We will begin reviewing Emergency Loan requests for Fall on August 12th. You must apply online (application instructions can be found below). You cannot apply in person at the Financial Aid Office.
Notifications for approved Emergency Loan funds will be sent by email and a check will be mailed via USPS to your verified mailing address. We also encourage you to consider these other options to meet your needs.
- Bookstore Bucks are available for fall to help with books and supplies.
- Open Educational Resources (OER) is a category of educational materials available in the public domain that is available with little or no-cost access, and with zero or limited restrictions in terms of usability repurposing and redistribution.
- Student Assistance Fund for Emergencies (SAFE)
- Spartan Open Pantry
Requesting an Emergency Loan
***PLEASE NOTE: You must apply online. You cannot apply in person at the Financial Aid Office.***
To apply for an Emergency Loan, please log in to UNCGENIE, select the “Financial Aid” tab, then select “Emergency Loan Application”. Please make your request in whole dollars (do not include cents in your amount requested).
If you will be repaying the loan with pending financial aid, you can apply for a maximum of $1200 if you have enough expected aid to cover that amount.
You will be contacted via your UNCG email address concerning the status of your application.
If your request is approved, you will be notified via email and a check will be mailed via USPS to your verified mailing address. There is a $5 processing fee for all approved Emergency Loans that will be added to your account balance by the Cashiers Office when the check is processed. If you have outstanding financial aid requirements or have already received an emergency loan for the current semester, you will be unable to apply for an Emergency Loan through this process.
If you have difficulty applying online, please call or email the Financial Aid Office for assistance.